For years, Preston and Stig had an interest in reading this book, but they always seemed distracted by other things. Although it took awhile to get around to reviewing the book, it didn’t disappoint. The author, Jim Collins, used a team of researchers who studied more than 6,000 articles and 2,000 pages of interview transcripts to develop this outstanding book. The entire effort took more than five year to produce, but it’s outcome tackled the idea of what it takes to move good companies to becoming great companies.
The book is broken down into a few key concepts. First, Collins talks about what a great leader is and how level five leaders can send a company into a different trajectory. Next, the book discusses the importance of finding the right people for the job. His finding suggest that simply filling the ranks of the company an often lead to dangers results. The book covers numerous other topics like the Stockdale paradox, the hedgehog concept, creating a culture of discipline, the impact of technology accelerators, and how to create a perpetual flywheel of growth. If you would like to read our 5 page executive summary of Good to Great, click here.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- Why the best company leaders consider themselves lucky rather than skilled, and why you should do the same.
- How to find the right people for your organization by asking “why” multiple times.
- Why and when it pays to be a pessimist in life and in business.
- Why the great companies would rather use technology as an accelerator, but never as a creator for their concepts.
- Why success always looks to be happening overnight, but in reality is always a question of consistency.
Get The Investor’s Podcast blog posts and podcast episode updates on your Facebook feed by liking We Study Billionaires.
Books and Resources Mentioned in this Podcast
Jim Collins’ Book, Good to Great – Read reviews of this book
Jim Collins’ Book, Built to Last – Read reviews of this book
Tony Hsieh’s Book, Delivering Happiness – Read reviews of this book
Jack Welch’s Book, Winning – Read reviews of this book
Meet Preston and Stig at the TIP live events all around the world
VIDEOS THAT SUPPORT THIS PODCAST
Jim Collins book, Good to Great