HOW TO ATTEND THE BERKSHIRE HATHAWAY ANNUAL SHAREHOLDER MEETING
WHO CAN GO AND HOW?
Anyone can attend the Berkshire Hathaway Shareholder’s meeting who holds at least one share of stock. You may be wondering if you need to own an expensive $300,000 share of BRK.A stock. You don’t! In fact, you only need to own 1 share of BRK.B stock (around $200) to get the credentials to attend the meeting.
Your credential is a badge on a lanyard that you’ll wear around your neck in order to get into the CenturyLink Center, where the meeting is held. Without this badge, you won’t be able to attend the meeting. If you plan on going, you’ll definitely want to ensure you’re in fact a shareholder. Here’s the process to get credentials for the Berkshire Hathaway Shareholders Meeting:
1. If you receive a hard copy of the annual report, you can tear out the perforated proxy card on the back, check attend the meeting, and mail it in requesting 4 passes. This is the best way to get your credentials. If you get an electronic version of your annual report, you will need to contact your broker’s Corporate Actions Team.
2. The Action Team will give you a 12-digit control number and tell you to go to proxyvote.com and enter the control number. After entering the number at proxyvote.com, you will check the box at the bottom of the form requesting the desire to attend the annual meeting. You will receive a confirmation email for the meeting.
3. Depending on how early you register, it could take a few weeks or months to receive your credentials because Berkshire’s third party mailing service is continually sending them out over the course of several weeks. When the credentials come, there are typically 4 badges that are sent. Please bring all of your badges in the event someone from our group forgets their credentials. We’ll collect all extra passes at our Friday night dinner to distribute amongst our guests and bring them to the CenturyLink Center early Saturday morning. Please download our itinerary to see where we’ll be and when. If you are a shareholder and aren’t able to link up with us Friday night or Saturday morning, you can visit the will call area in the lobby of the CenturyLink Center, which is open from 11:00am to 6:00pm Friday and 7:00am to 4:00pm on Saturday. You will need to bring a photo ID and proof of ownership.
HOTEL AND VEHICLE – Purchase your plane tickets and hotel rooms early!
Preston and Stig are staying at 402 Hotel located at 2211 Douglas St, Omaha, NE 68102. Due to the enormous size of our group, we will not be able to secure a block of rooms this close to the event. Some members have talked about renting a house or room through AirBNB. This is a much more affordable way to stay in Omaha. Additionally, you might even be able to rent out a house with some other forum members if interested. If you would like to try and share a room with any of the members of the community, be sure to talk to folks on the forum board. Here is the best spot on the forum to talk about the event with other members of the community.
You can rent a car at the airport, or have the hotel shuttle run you to all the different events. Be sure to check with your hotel to ensure they have a shuttle service before relying on it. If you get in a bind, there’s always Lyft and Uber.
TIMELINE OF EVENTS – Download the TIP 2018 Berkshire Itinerary HERE
We recommend keeping this itinerary handy on your smart phone so you know where our group is at all times over the course of the weekend. We will also stand up a WhatsApp group chat for you to conveniently communicate with everyone from your mobile phone.
ASKING QUESTIONS DURING THE MEETING
There are two ways to get a question answered during the meeting:
- By submitting your question to the selected journalists below
- By being one of the drawing winners at 8:15 a.m. on the day of the meeting
The journalists and their e-mail addresses are:
- Carol Loomis, of Fortune, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Becky Quick, of CNBC, at BerkshireQuestions@cnbc.com
- Andrew Ross Sorkin, of The New York Times, at email@example.com
From the questions submitted, each journalist will choose the dozen or so he or she decides are the most interesting and important. In your e-mail, let the journalist know if you would like your name mentioned if your question is selected.
Please continue to check this page and also the forum message board. We will continue to provide updates pertaining to the progress and planning of the trip. We can’t wait to meet everyone and have a fantastic time! This should be an amazing opportunity to network and meet other individuals with similar interests and passions.
Berkshire’s 2018 itinerary from the corporate office can be found here.