Preston and Stig are attending the 2020 Berkshire Hathaway Shareholders Meeting, Saturday May 2nd. We have prepared a guide for those who are joining the annual event with The Investor’s Podcast.
WHO ARE WE?
WHO CAN GO AND HOW?
Anyone can attend the Berkshire Hathaway Annual Shareholders Meeting who holds at least one share of stock. You may be wondering if you need to own an expensive $300,000 share of BRK.A stock. You don’t! In fact, you only need to own 1 share of BRK.B stock (around $200) to get the credentials to attend the meeting.
Your credential is a badge on a lanyard that you’ll wear around your neck in order to get into the CHI Health Center Omaha (formerly CenturyLink Center), where the meeting is held. Without this badge, you won’t be able to attend the meeting. If you plan on going, you’ll definitely want to ensure you’re in fact a shareholder. Here’s the process to get credentials for the Berkshire Hathaway Annual Shareholders Meeting:
1. If you receive a hard copy of the annual report, you can tear out the perforated proxy card on the back, check to attend the meeting, and mail it in requesting 4 passes. This is the best way to get your credentials. If you get an electronic version of your annual report, you will need to contact your broker’s Corporate Actions Team.
2. The Action Team will give you a 12-digit control number and tell you to go to proxyvote.com and enter the control number. After entering the number at proxyvote.com, you will check the box at the bottom of the form requesting the desire to attend the annual meeting. You will receive a confirmation email for the meeting.
3. Depending on how early you register, it could take a few weeks or months to receive your credentials because Berkshire’s third-party mailing service is continually sending them out over the course of several weeks. When the credentials come, there are typically 4 badges that are sent. If you are a shareholder and aren’t able to receive your credentials, you can visit the lobby of the CHI Health Center Omaha, which is open from 11:00 am to 6:00 pm on Friday and 7:00 am to 4:00 pm on Saturday. You will need to bring a photo ID and proof of ownership.
4. Please note that The Investor’s Podcast Network does NOT give away credentials. Please also feel free to ask anyone on our forum if they have any spare credentials.
5. To make yourself known as a member of the TIP community during the event, we highly encourage you to purchase any of our shirts from our webshop. Please note that 100% of the proceeds from our webshop go to TIP Scholarship, which aims to help fund the education of young women in developing countries.
HOTEL AND VEHICLE
Purchase your plane tickets and hotel rooms early!
Some shareholders have talked about renting a house or room through Airbnb. This is a much more affordable way to stay in Omaha. Additionally, you might even be able to rent out a house with some other forum members if interested. If you would like to try and share a room with any of the members of the community, please make sure to join our WhatsApp group to meet up and stay in touch with other members of the TIP Community. You request access by sending an email to email@example.com
You can rent a car at the airport, or have the hotel shuttle run you to all the different events. Be sure to check with your hotel to ensure they have a shuttle service before relying on it. If you get in a bind, there’s always Lyft and Uber.
Where are Preston and Stig Staying?
Preston and Stig are staying at Hilton Garden Inn in Council Bluffs 5 miles away from the location of the Berkshire Hathaway Annual Shareholders Meeting. Because of the meeting, you’ll be going t